Thursday 20 February 2014

Klasky Csupo

I decided to do my PPP presentation on the animation studio 'Klasky Csupo'. 
This is becuase I've been a fan of their animations (usually shown on Nickelodeon in the 90's/early 00's) for as long as I can remember.

- Founded by artist/producer Arlene Klasky, and animator Gábor Csupo in 1982.

- Initially known for its work on logo designs, feature film trailers, TV show titles, promo and

  spot ID's for a wide variety of clients, in the process earning a reputation as the industry's  most imaginative and innovative studio.

- From this, they landed their big break when James L. Brooks of Gracie Films hired the studio to produce the title sequence for The Tracey Ullman Show. In addition to this, Klasky Csupo was given the opportunity to produce a series of one-minute cartoons called The Simpsons.



  
Before researching for my presentation, I was unaware that Klasky Csupo had a part in the making of The Simpsons shorts. However, looking at the pilot for Rugrats and an early short of The Simpsons, I can really see the similarities in the style of animation. Both seem pretty jagged with their movements, and the facial expressions/way the characters move also show big similarities. 
  
- Once Rugrats had been aired in the early 90’s, Nickelodeon released Klasky-Csupo's second Nicktoon series, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters.
During this time Klasky Csupo ended production on Rugrats, due to the fact that they thought they were going to be cancelled after all the 65 episodes were aired. 


 

I've always thought the design of Klasky Csupo's characters are interesting. Their facial features don't really have very humanised features at all (typically with their huge/freakishly small eyes & mouths usually located on their chins) yet the personalities of the characters still make them very relatable as a person. 


One Klasky Csupo animation that really stood out for me was As Told By Ginger. It tackled some pretty hard-hitting stuff in it's 60 episodes (divorce, bullying, heartbreak etc) and I think it was a very suitable cartoon for under 12's (or even over, to be honest I still occasionally watch it!) to see as it may have even helped them out with their own similar problems. It's a shame Nickelodeon doesn't really show anything like this anymore and have just gone down the route of having every programme centred around toilet humour.


After not hearing much from divorcees Arlene Klasky and Gábor Csupo since the early 2000's, they've started to create comics and webseries featuring the famous (yet creepy) robot logo.


My presentation on this to the class went pretty well I think. There weren't many questions but I think I gave them the gist of the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment