Monday 18 May 2015

Possible Animation idea for Summer

I've mulled over doing a sequel to 'A Dream is a Fish your Heart Makes' (first year C&N brief) for quite some time now and I'm very tempted to get it started -and possibly finished- over the summer.
I enjoy using quite old music (I say old, 70-80s) in my animations as people do seem to know them which helps them grasp the humour (I used Chris De Burgh's 'Lady in Red' for the first animation).
I'm wanting to use the song 'Always' by Bon Jovi for the music as I'm hoping it'll add to the dramatic effect of the animation. I think the song really goes with the story.


The Bird and the Fish Sequel ‘Always’

SET THE SCENE

Fade in to the dingy bar (pan across, zoom in slow)

Possible Bar name: The Pigeon Hole

- At the time of this animation, Horatio and Payola have been separated for quite a while. Horatio is still taking it hard. - 

- First verse of song- Slow fade in to Horatio sat at the bar slumped over his whiskey
(setting is grungy and dark)
 - Reference: Spongebob movie at goofy goober depressed scene, Team America scene where Gary is depressed, Simpsons etc.

Perhaps reflection of him in the whisky glass (extreme zoom in)
(Features include: Stubble, scruffy feathers etc.)

Looks at the window with rain pouring down it.

-Chrous- Turns to flashbacks:
  • her doing up his tie
  • Bed shot, waking up to her
  • atmospheric shot of them gazing lovingly at each other (running through a field?)
  • Picnic in the park or going out to dinner

(flashbacks last duration of the first chorus) 

-Second Verse-

Gets second drink and looks in his wallet and finds a photo of her,
acts out the verses in the song at this bit.

‘i’ve made mistakes, i’m just a man…’ - show what he did wrong:
  • Hit her
  • silent argument of some conflict and she isn’t hearing any of it. Perhaps a selfish act and she leaves with her bags. 

Door shuts on him then draws to a close up of his face distraught - 
this fades back to his face with the same expression at the bar.

The bar man spurs him on as if to say ‘go to her’ (seen him looking at picture of her in his wallet)

-Bridge- Runs home (feet splashing through the puddles)

Dusts off his old snorkel gear, takes one look at the picture of her next to him and sets out to find her. 

When it reaches the next chorus he is finally outside her house under the sea to see her with a new family doing up her husbands tie (who is also a fish) with kids etc. (Eldest child half fish half seagull? May be an abomination)<- unsure

He realises he is too late and begins to swim off, dramatically throwing his snorkel gear to the ground - smashing it. 

Payola (the fish) see him swimming off to indicate that the story is not yet finished. 




I think Scuttle from the little mermaid would be great reference to use to help me with lip syncing for the seagull. I'm a little worried how I'd successfully lip sync a beak to look like it's speaking but I think a lot of Disney clips would help me along in this area. 
Some of Scuttle's mannerisms are also great for helping me develop the character of Horatio further. He has a lot of exaggerated expressions that I'd love to try and adapt into an animation of my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment