Monday 18 May 2015

JET Programme

The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme is an official Japanese Government scheme which sends graduates to Japan in order to promote international understanding at grass-roots level and to improve foreign language teaching in schools.
I've recently had a friend from Leeds Met start the programme which landed her in Tokyo (you can be put anywhere in Japan) and she absolutely loves it.
I've been asking her loads of questions about it to get as much information as I can as I'm strongly thinking of applying. The website is pretty informative but I wanted some information from someone who's from a similar background as me who's actually experiencing it.




It's something I'd really be interested in doing and it's definitely spurring me on to stay for 3rd year. After visiting Tokyo in 2012, I've yearned to go back. I absolutely loved it. I know living and working there would be a hell of a lot different to a weeks holiday in the summer, but it would be something I'd love to try - even if I just stay for the year (you have the option to leave after a year or sign for another if you're doing well). 
Since the application process starts in October, I'm going to have to think strongly about finding something to support my application; be it taking a Japanese night class to help me learn a bit of the language or perhaps setting up some sort Japanese society at uni as I'm sure a few people would be interested in attending that. 
They're all things to be thinking about over summer and I'll definitely be applying come October.




No comments:

Post a Comment